Model Bridge Building...Made Easy!!!

Now you too can build your very own model bridge!

(As if you'd want to. )



I just thought it might be interesting to show you how I go about building a bridge. Of course, it may not be interesting either. It just seems, in my experience, that most people have no concept for how to... well... build a bridge. Well, I wouldn't either if it hadn't been for Ben and Dad. So thanks, guys.

The very first thing that I start out doing is laminating 3/32 inch square basswood sticks together. To do this, I use the jig Dad so graciously made for me which holds the pieces together while the glue dries.

Basically, the jig is composed of a long board with two boards glued/nailed on top of it with a gap in between. You can see it in the picture.







I put one piece of wood into the gap, put a thin line of super glue down the length of it, and then put the other piece of wood on top.


















And, to keep the super glue from sticking to the jig, I actually put waxed paper down in the gap around the basswood pieces.






















I then press both basswood pieces down into the gap, clamp another board on top, and wait a couple hours for the glue to dry. That's why I do this step first!
When I come back and take the basswood out of the jig, I have two pieces nicely laminated together.


















To actually start to build the bridge, I first cut out the major pieces, referring to my as-accurate-as-I-can-possibly-be, actual-size drawing.


















Usually I cut out two pieces at a time, one for each side, so that they're exactly the same. That's why I use the tape - to hold the pieces together while I'm sawing them.


















Usually I have pretty good success just freehanding the sawing. I just draw a line at the right angle and length and hope for the best!


















Here you can see the main pieces I cut out. Notice that there are two of each piece.


















Then I have to figure out how to hold everything in the right place while I glue the pieces together. Right now I'm just making a quick and dirty model, just to see how the real bridge will act. So for this little guy, I just held the pieces on my drawing as I glued them.
There you can see all my pieces drying.



















And that's all that's going on right now. I talked to Ben and Dad about my design today, and I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do. Thanks, Steve for all your input too. I like your idea about my trouble joint, and I think I'll incorporate some of that into my design.

6 comments: (+add yours?)

Steven said...

Uh oh.. Look out for the bridge contest evil stealin' blogger.

Now they shall have all your ideas!
Man, I'm on the edge of building one.. I just wish I had the time.

Looks pretty cool! I hope it goes together well!

Ben&Brit said...

Hey! I remember owing those clip thingies at some point! :-)

(I take it I got rid of them.)

Becka Travers said...

I guess so, Ben. Dad offered to let me use them, and he said he didn't like them:D

Sarah said...

We use them to hold chip bags shut. :P

Sarah

Abbey said...

You forgot the steps on how to get super glue off your hands!!!

Sarcastic Sally said...

Man... If I tried to make a bridge, it wouldn't even support the weight of chip-bag-clips.
Well, it might be a little stronger than that, but it would probably end up being glued to the side of my face.

Super coolness, Becks. Super coolness.

(Like I said, you really need to ban me from comments.)